May 04, 2013 // Posted by: cooldude // Category: Home Improvement
During the winter, when large snowfall occurs, the sidewalks are completely covered with snow. Most of the time, the sidewalks are not cleared properly by the civic authority and this lead to some serious accidents, injuries and fractures to the people using the sidewalk. The main reason behind these is the tendency to slip on the snow that is deposited on the sidewalk.
However you can solve this problem simply by using salt, one of the most commonly available commodities. If you sprinkle some salt on the sidewalks, then it will bring down the temperature of the ice on the sidewalk. As a result the ice will melt easily without being deposited for a long time. Thus the chance of slipping on the ice is reduced to a greater level.
You wither sprinkle the salt on the sidewalks every time before it starts snowing. You can also start sprinkling the salt on the snow once it has been deposited. Wither way you can easily succeed in keeping side walk free from snow and ice.
April 24, 2013 // Posted by: cooldude // Category: Home Improvement
With the growing concern of people towards the environmental risks we pose for the world, it is essential to do one’s part in being environment friendly. Since our ecology has a limited number of resources it is best to use our resources efficiently and wisely. We can reuse and recycle a great many of the products we use at home.
We can reuse most of the broken furniture and plastic bottles to create something very creative and decorative over time. We can even recycle them and use them. One easy thing to do is ending all our used paper and plastic for recycling. This s very helpful for the environment as recycled paper and plastic are easily used again. Even using something to its utmost is best for all consumable goods. For example reusing plastic bags and bottles can go a long way to save costs and protect the environment.
April 12, 2013 // Posted by: cooldude // Category: Home Improvement
If you are much in to saving electricity in your home, then you can use many other energy options, other than electricity, to warm water in your water. Water heaters or geysers consume a lot of power while they are switched on thus your electricity bill also rises steeply. Instead of using conventional electricity, you can use solar energy to warm the water. You can simply install a solar panel on the top of your house and connect the water heater system with it thereby saving a lot of electric power and also lowering the electricity bills.
If you want lukewarm water, then you simple place the water on a flat bowl and place it under the sun for a considerable period. The water slowly gets warm after few hours. Here only the solar energy is consumed which comes for free. You can also use the solar cooker to heat the water. The solar cooker can really give much warm water to satisfy your needs.
February 25, 2013 // Posted by: cooldude // Category: Home Improvement
A central heating boiler has its advantages, but it needs servicing too function properly.
- Descale the boiler every year. This will clean the water pipes too thus, providing fresh water all the time.
- The valves enable the flow of water, but dirt can affect the flow of water which might be reduced considerably. This will prevent other parts also from working properly. So clean the valves regularly.
- Get your boiler serviced by a technician every year. This will correct technical flaws and save your electricity bill.
- To prevent accidents, the boiler has pressure control valves and switches. The pressure gauges must be checked, to ensure that they are running properly.
- Garbage around the boiler can get ignited, this might too irreversible damage to your home thus keep the area around the boiler clean.
A central heating boiler is an integral part of our homes. Proper maintenance will increase its longevity.
January 05, 2013 // Posted by: cooldude // Category: Home Improvement
Whenever you need material to satisfy the roofing and other finishing needs, people normally have a tendency to go for the cheapest materials to save a lot of money. But you must take ample time and do a proper research to search for the correct type of material to satisfy your needs. The cost should not be the only driving force behind the selection of the materials; you must consider the maintenance factors as well.
To increase the aesthetic value of your home, you need the perfect type of sidings. Only the material for the siding is not sufficient, the type of work done on the siding is also very important. The siding must be able to withstand the climate of the place where you live.
See if the siding you are choosing can withstand the rain, snow, sunrays and the continuous exposure to the climate. You can take help of the internet as well to find the correct type of material perfect for the siding purpose.
December 11, 2012 // Posted by: cooldude // Category: Home Improvement
If you want to engage your child and yourself in an interesting summer project, then you can start a home based small scale project by building a backyard fort. It can act as a wonderful playhouse for your kid and it can keep your kid engaged for long hours during the summer breaks. You can build a tree fort or a tree house as well if you have a sturdy and safe tree in your backyard.
First of all, get all the materials needed. Wooden forts are the best and they have a traditional and aesthetic feel too. You need to have wood planks, industrial glue, pins, nails, wood cutting equipments, and other necessary tools for wood work. Have a blueprint ready for the work and get a 3D image design free from any online source. This will help you get a better idea and you can get started in no time.
July 22, 2012 // Posted by: cooldude // Category: Home Improvement
There are a lot of things to consider when you are purchasing the locks for your windows. It is not a very easy task to find the right lock for your window. You have to make sure that the lock you are choosing will be able to provide security in the best possible way. However, it is also important that the lock suits the overall decoration and the appeal of your house. The lock must also come at a reasonable price.
The quality of the accessories should not be compromised at any cost. The locks should be good looking but it is more important to get a lock that will be sturdy and strong and be able to provide security to you and your family. There are a lot of options when it comes to the different kinds of locks that are available in the market. You will have a variety of options to choose from in terms of the metals. You can go for a nickel or a brass one as they are quite strong. There are various technologies of locks as well.
February 24, 2011 // Posted by: cooldude // Category: Home Improvement
One or a mix of few issues cause squeaking and noises when your garage doors are used which is a very irritating sound to the ears. However amending a noisy garage is very simple. It is as convenient as moving the parts of the door or completely replacing the door itself.
Start the process by putting fresh lubricant to the garage door and the opener and in spite of that if the noise continues then you need to take the following actions:
Get garage door hardware items like Primeflo lubricant or a screw drive lubricant if your garage door opener happens to be a screw driver one. Apply the lubricants on the areas where needed and to get the desired result, the garage door will have to be constantly opened and closed. Spray on the door wheels and the tracks too. Once this is done wipe off the excess lubricant with soft cotton cloth or paper towel.
January 23, 2011 // Posted by: viewmybuild // Category: Home Improvement
If door hinges are not properly installed they may bend and damage a garage door.
1. A lubricant should be sprayed on the bottom of the garage door and the weatherstripping should be tilt.
2. The bottom bracket hinge should be placed on the bottom corner of the door and a screw should be drilled into the weatherstripping.
3. Screws should be drilled into the two side hinges on the top left and right corners of the first garage door panel. The middle hinge should be screwed in the center of the first panel.
4. The bottom garage door panel is set in the door area and the rollers are set into the side hinges. The track should be placed over the rollers and screwed in place.
5. The hinges should be attached on the top left and right corner of the second panel, as well as the middle. This second panel should be dropped onto the first panel. The hinge top should be lifted from the first panel and attached to the second panel with a screw.
January 18, 2011 // Posted by: viewmybuild // Category: Home Improvement
Simple cabins are built to shelter themselves from the elements using whatever materials are easily available.
Site Preparation and Foundation
1. Clear the building site using ax, chainsaw, pry bar, pick and shovel. After measuring cabin dimensions they are marked on the ground.
2. With a pick and shovel a foundation trench is dug and filled with cement.
Build the Cabin
1. After laying the first logs on all sides, they are connected at the corners with saddle notches. The floor joists are installed and walls are raised.
2. Windows and door openings are created. Using a full-length beam at the top and keeping the sides aligned at these openings with scrap lumber or vertical logs a frame is formed. Roof rafters and joists are installed when the walls are finished.
3. Boards are placed across joists for floor. Split-cedar shingles are made with ax and nailed to roof frame. Windows are installed and planks are nailed to cross braces to create a door.