A Cat5 network is useful to create a more secure system in your home.
1. The network router and each desired Cat5 outlet should be located and marked.
2. Holes should be drilled in the wood framing of the house from the router to each outlet. The holes should be in the center of the wood wires should be run at least 12-18 inches away from home electrical wires.
3. The Cat5 cable should be run from the router to each outlet.
4. The RJ45 modular jacks should be connected to each wire at the router end using the cable crimper. The jack should be turned over to expose the wire connections which are numbered one through eight, going left to right.
5. The Cat5 keystone jack is connected at the outlets in the same pattern as the last step. A visual color indicator is provided by the keystone jack for the connections.